Since this is a time when many of us make lists of resolutions to follow in the new year, I thought it appropriate to share a different list with my readers.
What ten things drive me to write?
- I have no choice. Writing is as important to me as food, so I must write regularly or starve to death!
- I often don’t know what I think on a deeper level unless I write about the subject.
- My nightly dreams leave me with no option but to recognize and record them each morning, reminding me of the multitude of stories that exist in this amazing source.
- Life is too complex if I don’t try to make sense of it by writing poems, stories, essays, etc., that help me to understand it better.
- Writing helps me to think I have control over some small patch of my life.
- Language is the medium through which we perceive the world. How would I know what I’m seeing if I didn’t write about it? Or read what someone else has written?
- Writing not only takes me deeper into the outer world but it also gives me access to my inner life in ways that otherwise wouldn’t happen.
- To write gives me an opportunity to put my mark on the world in a small way, to leave something of myself behind.
- Writing gives me access to my imagination in ways that otherwise wouldn’t happen.
- While there certainly are moments of doubt and pain when I write, there also are so many satisfactions, especially when I complete a work that others can enter into and feel illuminated by.
I’d love to hear from other writers what drives them to write!